Tuesday, July 3, 2012

CAB #5- Baby Steps



            Although Wood outlines several diverse forms and goals of families in Western culture in her chapter about communication in families, she only chose to describe the family life cycle of a ‘typical’ American family, whose goal is to produce and raise children. I have my issues with this move just like Sara has, but I can appreciate that Wood didn’t have an unlimited amount of space; she couldn’t possibly have detailed a life cycle for every type of family out there. That being said, she describes the ‘launching children’ phase of the family life cycle as “a time of vital change for most families… for parents, this can be an abrupt change. For the children… this is a time of increased independence and self-discovery” (Wood, 2012, p. 313). Wood discusses the stresses this can place on parents, who may not know how to relate to each other without children to work around, as well as on children, who may find financial and personal freedom difficult to adjust to.
            My mom and I experienced the launching children phase of the family life cycle much earlier than either of us expected to. Shortly after my junior year of high school, my mom had to move to Kansas for a job that could support us both financially after the company she worked for was shut down. I didn’t want to transfer schools my senior year, so we worked out a deal with my neighbors and I lived with them for my senior year. My mom, who’s been a single parent since my sophomore year of high school, was suddenly faced with the prospect of finding a house that would not only be completely unfamiliar to her, but also empty without me there with her. On my end of the equation, I found myself having to pick up the slack and figure out more things on my own because my mom wasn’t right there to help me. This doesn’t mean she completely dropped out of my life; it was simply more difficult to work on college and scholarship applications when it was all up to me and I didn’t have her to get on my case and make sure they got done.
            Although this living condition wasn’t ideal for either of us, I’m glad I was able to learn how to take more responsibility in my life because of it. For my mom, it was a fantastic way to learn how to let go and push me to be more accountable for my own finances and emergencies; for me, the pressure I felt at being expected to figure things out gave me incentive to rely on myself just in case nobody was around to help me, but that was countered by the fact that I still had my mom to bounce ideas off of and to be my safety net if I needed help. A really great example of this is the car fiasco I dealt with at the start of last spring semester. I had a flat tire and thought, ‘no big deal, I’ll just ask a friend to teach me how to change a tire.’ That tire WOULD NOT come off though, even with the WD-40 I bent over backward to find someone to borrow from. I was calling my mom to give her updates and solicit advice throughout this entire process, but it was up to me to call the insurance company, figure out what I had to do, find a trustworthy mechanic, and have my car towed. You never know what you’re capable of accomplishing if you suddenly have no choice. L 


           As much fun as this particular adventure wasn’t, I sure as heck knew exactly what to do the next time my car started acting up. As difficult as it probably is for some parents to resist being helicopter parents and as stressed out as their kids might be at suddenly having to figure things out for themselves, the launching children phase of family cycles doesn’t have to be catastrophically abrupt or traumatic. Although I didn’t find any suggestions from Wood in our textbook for how to navigate this stage more effectively, I learned at least one trick I think could apply to many diverse forms of family. If you take smaller, gradual steps such as the ones my mom and I took when we made my transition into college (we couldn’t really help the ‘living in different houses situation), both parents and their adult children who are leaving the house to be independent can breathe more easily.



Works Cited
Wood, J. T. (2012). Interpersonal communication: Everyday encounters. (7 ed.). Boston, MA:       Wadsworth.

4 comments:

  1. Ihad a problem car once...similar to yours, numerous problems, a typical college kids car. I ran into a nice flat tire, actually two at the same time! It was ugly to say the least. I remember the panic of being stranded somewhere on I-80 east, and trying to figure out what to do. I pulled out the phone and called my dad and he did something similar to your mom, just told me to calm down and figure it out. It sucked at the time but I know now that if it ever happens again i will be good to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make very good points about the launching phase. I am so dreading that point with my little one, I mean it'll be nice to have more freedom but I can barely stand one day without seeing him let alone the months at a time I'll have to deal with when he goes off to college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to hear how different your "launching children" phase was so different from mine. From what I understand, when your mom left, neither of you had any immediate family members living with you. It was a complete launch, so to speak. I, however, have 3 siblings, so when I left home my family continued to do much of the same things as when I left. I bet it was a much bigger change for your mother when you left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa a problem that not even WD40 could fix!?! Wow! I definitely have some stories of epic car breakdowns and calling my dad for help. He got me AAA pretty early into my driving career:-)I think in part to anticipate these things.

    Overall great participation on the class blog. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and getting your take on things. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete