Sunday, July 1, 2012

Chapter 12: Launching/Post Launching Children


              Everyone grows up and as we age there is this inward desire to become independent. This is fostered in high school but the forced independence comes during college. As children begin college they are usually forced away from their parents and are given opportunities to begin their own life. Wood discusses  this in the Family Life Cycle, step 5 and 6, and how it really affects the parents as the children begin to become more independent. Launching is a vital change for most families, describes Wood (2012). It can really show the parents that they are a couple again, which can be an abrupt change.

            This is very true with my parents. I am the baby of the family, so I have been able to watch the launch process twice as they dropped my older brothers off at college. I was also able to experience it as they dropped me off at UNL.I know that it has been different for them now that they do not have kids at home. It is a huge adjustment schedule wise, as well as who they really talk to in town. Now they are beginning to move into the post launching phase described by Wood. They are adjusting to it but I think they are on the positive outlook from what Wood described as renewed love. They now are taking more trips together and are able to spend more time doing shared activities. Although this has caused some frustrations, it is majorly for the good of their relationship.
            This concept that Wood described really helped me capture in words what my parents are experiencing. I did know of this train of thought earlier, as I was able to listen and talk to mom about it. I hope to be able to communicate to my parents effectively and become more sensitive to when certain issues arise instead of brushing them off, as they are important for their stage of life. Understanding can be a hard for the children, as they are enjoying time away from their parents and don’t understand what an adjustment parents are making. Communication between the children and parents will be key in understanding each other’s feelings and how to best make the adjust for each relationship to remain strong and healthy.

References:
Wood, J. T. (2010). Interpersonal communication: Everyday encounters. (7th ed., p 314-
            315). Boston, MA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Very insightful. Thanks for your participation in the course. I really enjoyed reading your blogs and listening to your presentations. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete