Monday, July 2, 2012

Ch. 12 Post-launching of Children


            Stage 6 of Wood’s Family Life Cycle has to do with the Post-launching of children, or the time when all of a couple’s children have left home and have begun to live independently. This stage follows the launching of children, and it is usually the first time in years that a couple finally has a chance to be together again without having to take care of their kids. Wood states that for them this time is like “a second honeymoon” (Wood, 2012). It can be a blessing, but it can also be a curse as some couples “have to relearn how to be together with just each other and how to enjoy activities that don’t involve their children” (Wood, 2012, p. 314).


            As the youngest of five, my parents hit stage 6 of the Family Life Cycle 4 years ago when they sent me off to college. Although they had launched my other 4 siblings off to college as well, this would be the first time in over 20 years that they would have no kids at home. It had to be a pretty crazy transition, but it definitely seems to be a blessing for them. They spend more time together, still talk to all of their kids regularly, and they frequently travel for various occasions or vacations. Having a couple little dogs at home that my Mom treats like kids probably also helps. 

            I’m glad the post-launching stage in my parents’ life has worked out so well for them. They have good communication between them and between us kids, and I also know that they love each other very much. I plan on explaining what I have learned about the Family Life Cycle to them and show them how well they are doing in their particular stage.

References:
Wood, Julia T. (2012). Interpersonal communication: Everyday encounters. Boston, MA: Wadsworth.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree Beau. My parents are in the same stage, except it was only 3 kids. It has been a blessing for them as well. I think it is neat that you are going to tell your parents about what they are doing. That is a great idea, I might do the same as well. I am curious how they will respond...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to read more of your thoughts regarding the application of your concept. Intriguing life cycle stage to discuss!

    ReplyDelete