Thursday, June 14, 2012

CAB 2 Artifacts


            As defined by Woods, Artifacts are personal objects we use to announce our identities and heritage and to personalize our environments. This can refer to several parts of a person’s life. Deciding what you wear for clothes is choosing artifacts. Jewelry that you want to wear in some way describes who you are as an individual. Types of art or decorations for your home could show your interests. Things that you do not wear could show dislikes. Professional business can tailor what employees wear because they wont the company to be seen a certain way. As pointed out in Chapter Five, tattoos are a great way to express who you are but may offend customers.
            Thinking back to my single days I would use artifacts as a way to start conversation with girls. I would wear an interesting bracelet or necklace to be a conversation piece. This was very affective in starting conversations. People would want to know where the piece came from or what it meant. I picked up a few Middle Eastern necklaces and bracelets, so I knew that there would not be any around Nebraska.
            Now I look at artifacts as more of who I am or want to be. An artifact that could describe me right now is my Crossfit Lincoln bracelet. I wear this pretty much everywhere I go because it has become part of my life. I do not ever see myself moving away from it. The book did enlighten me on the meaning of artifacts too. I knew of it as starting conversations with complete strangers and know I see it as self-expression. It is more meaningful than before. 

Reference: 

 Wood, J. T. (2012). Interpersonal communication: Everyday encounters (7th ed.). Independence, KY: Wadsworth. 

http://www.deliciousboutique.com/DBJ/DB-DS011.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment