Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Ch. 4: Guidelines for Improving Verbal Communication - Emily Hergott


The section I have decided to focus on in Chapter Four of Interpersonal Communication is “Guidelines for Improving Verbal Communication.” Wood (2012) broke down this section into 3 sectors including, “Engage in Dual Perspective,” “Own Your Feelings and Thoughts,” and “Respect What Others Say about Their Feelings and Thoughts.” I am primarily going to focus on the last two sectors. “Own your feelings and thoughts” describes that language can be used to explain ones feelings or thoughts. It goes into deep details concerning how one should use I language, a form of language where your thoughts and feelings are not blamed on others (Wood 2012). This section really made me think about the truth that you control your own feelings. At any place or situation you can come across someone who is in a bad mood and is creating a negative atmosphere. That person does not have to change your feelings either, rather you are responsible for your feelings. The “respect what others say about their feelings and thoughts” sector brings up an overlooked portion of conversation; you need to respect someone’s thoughts and feelings even if they are not similar to yours.
I currently am employed at Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital, a therapy based hospital with goals of helping each patient have the ability to be independent again. I work primarily with patients who have encountered a traumatic brain injury (TBI). For those of you who have not had any contact with TBI patients, here is a great link to learn the Los Ranchos Scale of cognitive function which takes you through the stages from beginning to end of the brain injury( www.dukehealth.org/services/speech_and_audiology/care_guides/speech_pathology_resources/traumatic-brain-injury/family-guide-to-the-rancho-scale ).
 Often TBI patients can say things which are out of context due to their current health condition. After reading this section in the book it made me think about my conversations with the patients. I often fail to recognize what my patients are trying to communicate to me whether it is through gestures or verbal communication. It is difficult knowing if they really want what they say because they are not at full cognitive functioning. I can recall a situation just last weekend where a patient had not eaten anything all day because they were not hungry. Of course I disagreed with this feeling because I thought to myself that the patient would have to be hungry from not eating anything all day. Reflecting now I realize that I could have handled the situation better, by respecting their decision while stating that if the patient were to get hungry I would be able to get them something. There also can be times when my patient is extremely agitated (due to their medical situation). Their behavior can bring me down into being frustrated just as they are which does not help the situation in any way.
To further improve my interpersonal communication skills, I am looking forward to spending more time with patients so I can use this knowledge among my conversations with the patients. As wood suggested, “We shouldn’t assume we understand how they feel or think” (Wood, 2012, p. 109). I need to continuously be aware of asking the patients how they are doing and making sure I have them elaborate if I do not understand what they are trying to tell me. If the patient is stating a feeling which I or other professionals disagree with, I need to keep in mind that if I were in their situation I would also want someone to respect my decision. I also need to remember that I do own my thoughts and have the ability to control my feelings at all times. Just knowing that can help me show my leadership in any situation and show that I am a good role model primarily due to my good attitude.

References
Wood, Julia T. (2012). Interpersonal Communication: Everyday Encounters. (Seventh Edition) Boston, Massachusetts. Wadsworth.

"Family Guide to the Rancho Scale ." Duke Medicine. 2012. Duke University Health System. 12 June 2012 <www.dukehealth.org/services/speech_and_audiology/care_guides/speech_pathology_resources/traumatic-brain-injury/family-guide-to-the-rancho-scale>.

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate your point of view on this topic, that would be easy to overlook someone's opinion in that situation due to brain function. As for the eating situation that you mentioned with a resident, wouldn't it be considered aiding the person by suggesting they eat their food? I believe they need nourishment for their recovering body, wouldn't it be detrimental to the resident to not eat meals for the day? Just a different perspective I saw when reading through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a real good job highlighting the main points of this section. I think it would definitely be a good idea to think about these patients' feelings when taking into account what they may or may not want, and especially respecting their decisions. I do agree with Stephanie though I think their decision should be overlooked if it is detrimental to their health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really connecting with what you said about not assuming you understand how the patients feel or think. Awareness is half the battle; if you don't know you're doing it you can't change it, but you've got a good handle on it. I know when I'm really upset about something, it always irritates me or makes things worse when the person I'm venting to or people around me say they know how I feel (especially if they're downplaying the seriousness of my situation). I know I'm probably not the only person who's ever had to deal with whatever is upsetting me at the time, but the last thing I want to hear from someone is how much they disagree with my handling of the situation. As far as I know I'm at a perfectly sound and capable cognitive ability, and can be counted on to make decisions for myself because of that. I can only imagine how frustrated the patients you work with might sometimes get if they aren't able to communicate as functionally because of whatever they're trying to recover from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! This is exactly what I am looking for in terms of content. I like the use of colors and font to highlight points too. Next time think about how you can add photos or even video to highlight your point.

    ReplyDelete