Thursday, June 28, 2012

CAB#4 Deterioration


Deterioration
By Hana Mustafa

 This chapter Deterioration is the topic that jumped out at me.  The deterioration process is made up of five-stages: Intrapsychic processes, dyadic processes, social support, grave-dressing processes, and resurrection processes (Wood, 2013, p. 285).   Intrapsychic processes when either one or both partners start to feel dissatisfied with the relationship to the point that the problems along the way are all they see. Dyadic processes are the disintegration of the relational culture and social support is looking to family and friends to agree with your decision. Finally the grave-dressing processes  is the ending of the relationship  and reflecting on it, then the resurrection processes  is when the partners move on as individuals.

            When I think about the whole deterioration process the clearest example that comes to mind is my most recent serious relationship with my ex Aaron. I was pretty happy when we first started dating because he’s a really sweet guy and I thought that would be perfect for me at this point in my life, plus I had I crush on him back in high school so it was a long time coming. But the more time we spent together the more things I started to notice made us incompatible like our taste in TV shows, him having no real life goals and the only thing he was passionate about was playing poker.  After realizing this I started distancing myself from him until continuing the relationship just didn’t feel right. I assumed he would get that I was into us anymore and he assumed things were fine but we both ended up being wrong. 

            This theory that Wood talks about is very prevalent in this particular situation. I ended up discovering that Aaron and I weren’t intellectually compatible and now I understand that can be an important part of a strong relationship, at least for me. So now it is obvious that I started the deterioration processes down to every step. In the future though when I doubt a relationship I’ll try to use the dyadic processes to openly discuss our issues.  

References


Wood, J. T. (2013). Interpersonal Communication:Everyday Encounters. Boston, MA: Wadsworth.

1 comment:

  1. See Felmlee's musings on fatal attraction. She writes that what initially attracts us to someone is usually what causes the deterioration. We think that opposites attract, but really we prefer people who are compatible to us and complement us in terms of long-term committed relationships.

    ReplyDelete