Monday, June 11, 2012

CJ Zimmerer - Chapter 4 - Guidelines fo Improving Verbal Communication"


Chapter 4 had many interesting topics that caught my eye but I chose to write about the section titled “Guidelines for Improving Verbal Communication”. One of the first things that Wood (2012) lays out as a way to improve verbal communication is to engage in dual perspectives. One of the key points in doing this is to be “person centered” and to recognize the other side of the communication’s point of view and using that knowledge in your communication. When we talk to people whether it is at work, in the classroom, or anywhere else in our everyday lives each situation is unique because every person has a unique perspective. Their culture, upbringing, religious beliefs and an enormous list of other things play a part in how they communicate and knowing and trying to understand how they see things can make the sometimes difficult task of communicating easier. (Wood, 107-108)

After reading through the chapter and taking in the information Wood has to offer it is easy to see places in my life where dual perspectives come into play. A great example in my life is with my football team. There are roughly 130 players on my team and each of them brings a different point of view to the table. Some of them are from Texas, others from California, and I even have a teammate from South Korea. I have Catholics, Baptists, Atheists, and many other beliefs within my team as well. Some are Black, some are White, and others are both. There have been numerous times in my three years on the team where I have gotten into arguments and even close to fights with teammates because we haven’t seen eye to eye on different topics. There was one instance when a teammate was yelling profanity loudly in the locker before a game supposedly trying to pump himself and the other guys up. I on the other hand prefer to keep it quiet and get ready without the theatrics so I let him know how I felt. He didn’t like it so we began an argument. These types of things happen all of the time on my team because so many of us see things so differently.

            Even though the differences between my teammates and I are not going to go away any time soon there are a few things I can do to try and better our communication. When entering a potential “problem” conversation with a teammate I can always keep in mind that their point of view is different than mine. I can learn to better understand their point of view by asking questions about why they think and see things the way they do and make mental notes and try to adapt my communication style to better our relationship. Like Wood says “effective interpersonal communication is not a solo performance but a relationship between people” (Wood, 107) so this is an important aspect to improving my verbal communication. I can also encourage my teammates to learn more about my perspective as well, explaining why and how I see things.  We don’t have to completely change the way we see things just to make each other happy but “honoring both [my] own point of view and another’s” (Wood, 107) will better everyone.


                                                                      References
Wood, Julia T. (2012). Interpersonal Communication: Everyday Encounters.  (Seventh Edition)    Boston,  Massachusetts. Wadsworth.

6 comments:

  1. I like that you focused on the dual perspective because it can be hard to remember when an argument arises. Especially by being able to honor both perspectives by not always just agreeing but at the same time not beating your perspective into someone. Respect is shown as a major role in communicating this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CJ, I can completely understand how you can benefit from the information in dual perspectives. It would be really difficult to be surrounded by your teammates whom are all very different than what you were surrounded by in high school. Asking them questions as far as their opinion goes will be a great way for you to look into their situation with empathy. I am positive that your coaches too find it difficult to communicate on the same level as everyone because of the diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you included Wood's quote about interpersonal communication not being a solo performance. Remember those early models of interpersonal communication we talked about in class last week? Your teammate's reaction to you approaching him about his use of profanity before a game would be a good example of one of those models, which are one-directional and don't take into account the receiver of the message. Sometimes you can make the biggest difference by not assuming your perspectives and perceptions aren't the only or the best ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You take a very mature viewpoint of the situation with your teammate, not everyone would try to understand his perspective and not take personal offense to what he was saying. You also show good communication skills by adapting to the situation and realizing that dual perspectives were involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great lesson from the textbook. We are always going to have "teammates" we do not see eye to eye with, whether it be with our future coworkers, neighbors, or friends. Asking why they might see things the way they do is a great tactic that will definitely improve the efficiency of communication.

      Delete
  5. Great blog especially in terms of content! When quoting include year with authors and page numbers as well.

    ReplyDelete