Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chapter 5 - Nonverbal Communication with Interaction


My favorite part of Chapter 5 was “Nonverbal Communication May Regulate Interaction.” Wood (2012) describes how nonverbal behaviors can regulate the flow of communication between people. Nonverbally, people know cues of when it is their turn to talk. Eye contact is also key here because making eye contact with someone can be a sign that it is their turn to talk or give an opinion.

I have found this relevant to my internship site. I am currently interning with the Nebraska Department of Health and Human services – Division of children and family studies. We receive intakes of a case where a child(ren) has been abused and/or neglected. When this happens, we have to go out and interview family and/or friends who were involved in the situation. When this is taking place, several forms of nonverbal communication take place. Their body language (eye contact, arms crossed), the clothes they wear, the cleanliness of their house, etc are all considered when doing the investigation. During the interview it is especially important to maintain eye contact and seldom have silence during the conversation in order to generate more information coming in.

I have enjoyed reading “The World Beyond Worlds” because it has been a big aid in helping me learn more as far as reading others nonverbal cues as well as being more aware of my own. For example, I have never acknowledged how “we signal that we don’t want to be interrupted by averting our eyes or by maintaining a speaking volume and rate that discourages interruption” (Wood, 2012, p. 121). Taking this information in will help me especially next week when I am able to perform interviews on my own with the prospected people in our cases. During the interview, I will be sure to make eye contact with the individual I want to speak next.



Reference

Wood, Julia T. (2012). Interpersonal Communication: Everyday Encounters. (Seventh Edition) Boston, Massachusetts. Wadsworth.

2 comments:

  1. I like that you included the clothing they wear and the environment they are in as part of their nonverbal communication that is considered. Without saying a verbal word, it can alter your perception of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you do has a close correlation with the people that I have to work with. I work at the county jail and we will get inmates coming in for child abuse and child neglect. When they come in their wardrobe can tell you a story all by it's self. Then touch and smell can tell you another story. I like how you point out that you have to look at the big picture and not just one detail. I do not think you can really understand what is going on in that home with out considering, literally, EVERYTHING that your five senses can pick up. Even that sixth sense that some people have. ;)

    ReplyDelete