Thursday, June 14, 2012


Chapter 5- Haptics

Haptics is just one of the many types of nonverbal communication we use every day.  Woods defines haptics as the sense of touch (2012).  Haptics can be used to express a majority of different meanings.  A comforting touch to a distressed person can be calming and assuring. In the workplace, a touch can indicate power and status.  A hug can be used to show love or friendship, and people who are close to each are generally more comfortable with a higher level of touching.
            The majority of sports I play are team sports.  Hockey, football, and baseball all require many players to work together as a team.  Communication is vital for athletes to accomplish their goals, and coaches constantly remind players to talk on the field.  However, communication on the field (or in the rink) is not only verbal.  Each time I score in hockey, all my teammates on the ice surround me and hug me in congratulations.  Then we skate pass the bench and touch everyone’s hand on the bench.  A similar thing happens when a touchdown is scored in football or when I cross home plate in baseball.  The whole team touches you, whether it’s a shake of the hand, patting you on the head, or a slap on the butt. 
            Athletes do not just touch each other without reason.  They do it to send a message, using haptics.  They are saying good job and showing their support.  They do it to say “I’m here for you”.  That is what I experience in sports all the time: teammates supporting me and cheering me on.  For a team to be successful, they need to communicate, and Haptics is a great non-verbal way to supplement a team’s communication and bring a team together. 
           
References
Wood, J.T. (2012). Interpersonal communication: Everyday encounters (7th ed). Boston, MA:
           Wadsworth.


2 comments:

  1. I like your comment about "teams don't touch without reason". Never really thought about that before. I knew sports had a lot of touching but did not think of the reasoning behind it. I wonder what it would be like if someone scored and everyone celebrated in their own personal space. Would it become awkward? The team commodore would have to certainly suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continue with including the visuals. Also don't forget to submit to SafeAssign

    ReplyDelete