Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Committed Romantic Relationships: Long Distance Relationships


Relationships have so many different aspects that affect them; it is balancing act to ensure the relationship remains healthy.  Along with balancing the rest of your life, let’s put a great distance between your significant other and yourself and watch more difficulties arise. Wood (2012) describes in our textbook three of the greatest problems that arise with long distance; lack of daily sharing of small events, unrealistic expectations about time together, and unequal effort invested by partners.  These problems do not ruin the relationship for all couples, as many have made it work. Technology has helped overcome some of these issues by allowing people to engage over long distances by using cell phones, Facebook, and video chat.
One of my past relationships was long distance, I was in Lincoln, NE and he was in Montrose, CO so that was just a “short” 14 hours apart. It was an adjustment as we had just spent 5 weeks together on a mission trip and then we get back and are no longer with each other. We had begun to adjust to the long distance between us, even though Skype wouldn’t let us connect, when things began to change and not in a good way.  After a month, hearing from him became very infrequent and didn’t last long when it did occur.  We used to have really good communication and really enjoyed spending time together, now it was very little communication and no time together. This began to take a toll on me as I felt he was not putting any effort into the relationship. I talked to him about this and we decided it would be best for both of us if we were just friends. After reading the textbook I can see the unequal effort factor that Wood described as having a major role in our deterioration.
If I ever get into another long distance romantic relationship I want to remain aware that these three problems could arise as Wood talked about.   That way I will be able to bring up any of these topics if they start to show and the problem can end before it becomes a major issue. Being honest with communication will help solve the issue. As well as being able to recognize these, instead of ignoring them and pretending everything is ok, will be key factor of a future beneficial relationship.

Reference

Wood, J. T. (2010). Interpersonal communication: Everyday encounters. (7th ed., p. 291-
            292). Boston, MA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that knowing is definitely half of the battle :) I don't know how many times in the last few weeks I've applied concepts from class to my interpersonal relationships, but... let's just say I've lost count. Something else to consider with long distance relationships is the concepts of achieving closeness through dialogue versus closeness through doing. Women tend to rely more on dialogue to establish closeness, while men rely more on doing. It seemed in your situation here that you were relatively happy with being close to him through communication (which was about the most you could do with 14 hours between you). Maybe he started getting restless when the strain on the 'doing' end of your interactions became more pronounced?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Lauren... I wish i would have known about the three common issues before i started the long distance thing with my girlfriend...it probably would have saved us a couple hundred arguments or so! I remember feeling some of the same things you talked about in the early days of mine as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting that you thought that unequal effort made such an impact too. I wrote that I experienced this, but it seems like there is not much you can do about it. To me, it seems like you either try to make a relationship work or you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work with paragraph 3! I can definitely relate to your points with this blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete