Thursday, June 28, 2012

Long Distance Relationships


             Distance can either bring people closer together or drive them apart. Both has happened to me. Woods describes three problems with long distance relationships: lack of daily sharing of small events, unrealistic expectations about time together, and unequal effort investing in the relationship. I could not agree more with these issues. Being in the military and shipped away can put stressors on the relationship not only creating the distance between two people.
            While I was in Afghanistan I was able to talk to my now wife more than I could talk to my ex Iraq. We used Skype, email, and telephone in the stan (Afghanistan). Iraq did not have those luxuries. There was a huge time difference between the two deployments. Iraq was 22 months and Stan was 12 months. My wife and I found new ways to connect with each other using Skype when we could. Tried to keep the passion and intimacy up while being so far away is very difficult, but we did our best. Not being able to tell her about everything that I was doing there, security reasons, was taxing. I could not share daily activities, so I spent a lot of my time listening to her. I cannot say we became closer over the year but we did learn how to talk to each other effectively. Which helped when I came home.
            Reading the section made me think about my first relationship over seas. How it did not work. We would not talk to often and when we did it was me complaining about things going on and her telling me about the parties she was going to. Neither one of us were very up front about what we were doing to each other. She became more worried about me and I worried more about her cheating. Looking at the chapter, if couples are aware of the problems they will have to face with a long distance relationship, they have a better chance of working through the problems. 

Reference:

Wood, J. T. (2012). Interpersonal communication: Everyday encounters (7th ed.). Independence, KY: Wadsworth. 

2 comments:

  1. It's very interesting to read about your experiences with long-distance dating. It's clear that your first experience was in a more negative tone as you complained and she kind of rubbed your nose in the fact that you were gone. In the later experience it seems like you both gave an effort and shared a stronger understanding of the important things in your relationship. It's funny how we don't see these things quite so clearly in the moment. I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 22-months is a long time to be deployed and trying to maintain a committed relationship with limited technology. However, I am sure that that experience made you a better communicator and partner the next time around.

    ReplyDelete