Monday, June 25, 2012

Chapter 9 Media Illustration- Gender Roles in Interpersonal Conflict


Lauren Geiger
COMM 286
Ch. 9 Media Illustration
6-25-12

Gender Roles in Interpersonal Conflict

            I’ve been interested in how gender roles impact the way men and women handle conflict, and this assignment was a great alleyway toward further exploring them. I begin my presentation with a cartoon drawing that demonstrates the ways I’ve personally observed men and women tend to deal with conflict, both during and in an ambiguous period of time afterward. Especially in high school, I became really resentful of how my female peers approached conflict; I always saw them as drawing out fights, arguments, disagreements, and what have you for way too long after the actual conflict occurred. They would hold grudges like nobody’s business over things that happened so long in the past that even they couldn’t remember what happened. Sometimes I wished they’d just handle it like the guys in my high school did—namely, to throw a few punches, get the fight out of their systems, and then be friends afterward. This is why I included my first clip: it shows the way I sometimes wish girls actually would fight like they do in the clip. It would take so much less time and effort!


            From there, I’ll move on to outline some of the ways women in our culture typically respond to conflict situations. According to our textbook, women tend to be much more direct and willing to address conflicts than men are. Since women are socialized into gender scripts that tell them they should be accommodating to the needs of others, they rely more often on talking through issues as well as deferring to the needs and desires of others and to make compromises in order to resolve conflicts. At this point I’ll show a clip from Friends to demonstrate these concepts.


            After this, I looked at some of the ways it’s common for men in our society to handle interpersonal conflicts. Our textbook describes that men are more likely to withdraw from or minimize conflict because they are socialized to avoid expressive communication. When they do address conflict, it’s not unusual for them to use coercive verbal and physical tactics to either continue avoiding it again or force their point on others. Wood (2012) suggests that this could be because men experience more and longer-lasting physical responses such as elevated heart rate and blood pressure during conflicts than women do. The clip from an Austin Powers movie illustrates some of these tendencies.


            I’ll end my presentation by reflecting that these gender roles are dynamic. Not all women adhere to gender scripts for females in conflict, and the same thing can be said for men. Both men and women can adhere to their prescribed roles or freely move among them as they will. All of the clips I include in this presentation exhibit not only tactics that are considered typical for their respective genders, but also tactics more commonly shown by the opposite gender. My final clip is from Mulan, which I think demonstrates a comic mingling of male and female gender roles for interpersonal conflict, especially considering the fact that Mulan is impersonating a male soldier and trying not to get caught.




Works Cited

Wood, J. T. (2012). Interpersonal communication: Everyday encounters. Boston, MA:

            Wadsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment