Sunday, June 17, 2012

Chapter 6 Media Illustration


Lauren Geiger
COMM 286
Ch. 6 Media Illustration
6-17-12
Why Are You Listening?

            Before reading this chapter, I was already familiar with the concept that hearing and listening are two completely different processes. Something I hadn’t considered before, perhaps because I do it subconsciously, is the fact that we listen in different ways depending on why we’re listening to something in the first place. Once the textbook highlighted the information to me, it made perfect sense that we listen in one way in a classroom setting and another way entirely when we’re listening to music as we walk across campus.
            Although chapter 6 lists and describes three distinct reasons for listening, I chose to focus on comparing and contrasting listening for information and listening for pleasure. Wood (2012) tells us that the former process occurs when “our goal is to gain and evaluate information” (p. 157). In an academic setting, for example, we often have advance notice that we need to listen in such a way that enables us to effectively gather, organize, and remember information. We’re much more likely to control obstacles or deflect anything that would distract us from doing this, especially if we need lecture material that will be included on an upcoming test, for instance. This process is also useful when interacting with new people. By observing how certain people stand, phrases they use, and remembering specific characteristics about them, we use our listening skills to help us recall details about them at a later time.
            Listening for pleasure also involves paying attention and trying to limit distractions, but Wood (2012) separates it from listening for information when she states “listening for pleasure doesn’t require us to remember or respond to communication” (p. 157). With this listening goal, there is much less (if any at all) pressure on communicators to actively engage in and remember whatever it is they’re listening to. This doesn’t mean that absolutely no memory recall occurs when the goal of listening is simply for pleasure. I tend to listen to songs I like over and over again, and eventually I have them completely memorized. My mom and I have seen so many movies so many times that we have virtually the entire script down by heart when we quote them at each other.
            To demonstrate the differences in these two listening goals, I’m going to show a clip of a movie trailer. The first time I show it I’ll have the volume set to mute, and then I’ll ask a series of random questions asking what kind of things the class remembers about the clip (what were the characters wearing, what were they doing, what kind of people do you think they are based on those things, etc). Once I discuss listening for information versus listening for pleasure I’ll play the entire movie trailer, this time with sound. Afterward, I’ll again ask what kind of things the class remembered about the clip so we can see how that remembered information changed. Because of the nature of this trailer, I’ll also ask a few ad-lib questions about what is lost in communication when you physically can’t (or don’t) hear the message being presented to you as well as what kind of information is gained with the inclusion of text in a communication situation.

*Clip* Movie Trailer- 0:05-1:08 the first time, the entire trailer the second time

Discussion questions included in the presentation


I'll post a comment after the presentation with a link to the movie trailer. I just can't have you seeing it before class :)

1 comment: